View Round The World 2008-9 in a larger map

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 105 - Orpington, UK

Hello again, it seems ages since I've written anything here and there's a good reason for that. After arriving in Sydney three weeks ago we spent a good couple of days doing all the things that we'd planned to do there and were preparing to leave for Cairns on Tuesday. However, just as we were getting ready to spend a day at the beach on Monday (29th September) I received a call from Jane, my sister letting me know that my Dad had passed away the day before. Of course, it was a total shock and I felt like the world had collapsed around me. I couldn't take it in. What made it worse was that I could hardly have been any further from my family if I'd tried and all I wanted to do at that point was to get home. Rich was brilliant and organised our flight home while I was sitting on the edge of my hotel bed, totally wrecked and trying to make sense of it all. We were home by Tuesday morning (UK time) and feeling totally shattered, I was with my family before midday and it was great to be home.

Well, that was three weeks ago and we're all slowly coming to terms with it and trying to put our lives back together. Rather than cancelling the trip and trying to find work in these financially demanding times, we've booked our flights to carry on with the travelling and we're heading off to Bali tomorrow. We should be there by Monday afternoon in time for Rich to spend his birthday on the beach.

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words over the last few weeks, please keep in touch (danny@dannyhyett.co.uk) as even just a quick hello makes me feel less far away.

Bali here we come...

No comments: